2 pounds of ground chicken breast
2 tablespoons of oil (recommend 1 tablespoon sesame/1 tablespoon canola)
2 tablespoons of fresh garlic cloves
1 sweet Spanish onion
1/4 cup of carrots
3/4 cup of hoisin sauce (recommend Lee Kum Kee)
4 tablespoons of soy sauce (recommend Kikkoman)
2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
2 tablespoons of fresh ginger
2 tablespoons of sambal oelek
2 red Thai chilis
2 tablespoons of cashews
1 lettuce (recommend iceberg or butter)
1) Heat up pan/wok. Drizzle oil. Brown ground chicken. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
2) Mince onions, carrots, garlic and ginger. (May use food processor but ensure it is not over-processed into a paste).
3) Heat skillet with remaining oil. Saute minced mixture until onions turn translucent and carrots are soft.
4) Mix in ground chicken, rice vinegar, hoisin, sambal and chilis.
5) Once chicken is thoroughly cooked, turn off heat. Toss cashews into mixture. Garnish with diced scallions on top.
6) Serve with lettuce.
For a non-spicy version, omit the sambal oelek and Thai chili.
Lettuce may be replaced by warm flour tortillas, if preferred.
For nut allergies, replace chopped cashews with chopped water chestnuts.